Workshop was supposed to be located near the front line in order to carry out the repair of combat-damaged aircraft but on the ground of absence of required rolling equipment (apart from 3 railcars) on 1 August, 1941 following the Order of Air Force Headquarters of South-West Military District workshop became a part of 257 stationary air workshop in the city of Kharkov and being a part of stationary air workshop it was removed to the city of Uriupinsk (Stalingrad region) on 1 October, 1941. Upon arrival at base repair workshops were located on the territory of state horse stables which were retooled for production premises and workshops:
- aircraft workshop — 700 sq. m and hangar tent 484 sq. m in area;
- motor workshop — 200 sq. m;
- military equipment workshop — 60 sq. m;
- fittings and electronic — 80 sq. m.;
- mechanical (fitter’s, dural, engine-propeller areas) — 500 sq. m;
- maintenance depot — 60 sq. m;
- workshop management — 120 sq. m.
Since 16 November 38th Mobile Railway Aircraft Repair Workshop was engaged in repair of Su-2 light bomber, Y-2 aircraft, M-88 and M-1 motors of 8th Air Army of South-West front line. For the time of combat performance in Uriupinsk workshop-related personnel reactivated 151 aircraft and 143 aviation engines.
To provide prompt support to air regiments in January 1942 the workshop was reorganized into repair brigades of type PARM-3, and moved to Leninsk (Stalingrad region) for carrying out of aircraft repair work at field aerodromes.
Following the instructions № 4596 of Red Army Commander dated 11 July, 1942 38th Mobile Railway Aircraft Repair Workshop redeployed from the city of Uriupinsk to the station named Bezymjannaya (Saratov region). Workshop was given special aircraft repair train with technical equipment, tools and personnel. Since that moment workshop followed through with its name and purpose – in order to provide repair of damaged aircraft it was to be located as close to its units as possible. 38 Mobile Aircraft Repair Workshop rose through the ranks from Stalingrad to East Prussia over remaining period of Great Patriotic War.
In the latter half of 1942, when Stalingrad battle started, specialists of workshop mastered overhaul of IL-2 attack planes, Hurricane fighters, AM-28, Merlin XX, M-82 motors.
Team of servicemen performed inestimable work struggling for new lease of life of practically damaged aircraft. Rising self-born like phoenix from the ashes aircraft went sky-high and struggled against enemies.
Workshop personnel were awarded Stalingrad Defense Medal for task performance on repair of aviation materiel up the Stalingrad line.
In 1943 the situation changed. Workshop closed on Afrosim passing place in February, then on Proletarskaya station - in May, to the city of Donetsk – in October.
On the Commander’s initiative the 38th Mobile Railway Aircraft Repair Workshop was located in the combat regiment what gave an opportunity to repair aircraft in the field conditions.
After liberation of Crimea the military unit was transferred to join the 3rd Belarusian front and in July 1944 it moved to Yelnya station (Smolensk region) and participated in “Bagration” combat operation.
Order on incorporation of the Lithuanian Soviet Socialist Republic into First Air Force and its relocation to Kaunas was signed in the beginning of the year 1944. In April 1945 military unit was redeployed to Gumbinnen (now its Gusev, Kaliningrad region) and continued here its combat performance on aviation materiel repair till the end of Great Patriotic War.
Over the whole wartime, the workshop personnel had repaired 1285 motors of different types and 286 warplanes (it is equivalent to the number of 8-9 regiments).
On 5 April, 1945 the 38th Mobile Aircraft Repair Workshop was awarded Red Star Order for its combat services to Motherland during Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945; 107 men got high government awards. All personnel were awarded the medal “For victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945”.
In August 1945 workshop was redeployed to the town of Novoelna (Grodno region) and allotted in 26th Air Army. The city of Baranovichi is a place of permanent deployment since May, 1953.
56 llyushin Il-2 aircraft were overhauled from 1953 till 1956. The workshop staff successfully learned overhaul of MiG-15 and MiG-17 jet fighters in 1956.
On October 15, 1958 to the order of Chief of Defense Force the 38th Orders of the Red Star Mobile Railway Workshop became a part of Aircraft Repair Base and was awarded name “32th Orders of the Red Star Military Base” with subordination to the 26th Air Army. In the same year military base was relocated from railway vehicle to new production space. Now it can be seen that “railway period” which lasted 17 years was finished.
Personnel of the base mastered overhaul of Il-28 first Soviet tactical bomber. In 1961 they successfully mastered overhaul of Tu-16 long-range bomber aircraft. 62 aircraft were overhauled in the course of 2,5 years. Specialists of the plant practiced in assembling of Su-7 supersonic fighters along with Tu-16 overhaul. 180 aircraft were assembled in the period of 2 years.
On the 15th of June, 1963, according to the order of Ministry of Defense of the USSR, the unit was withdrawn from subordination of the Air Force and started overhaul of missiles, getting the name of “558 Missile Repair Plant”. Later, on the 10th of March, 1966 it was re-subordinated to the Commander of the 26th Air Army, becoming the “558 Orders of the Red Star Aircraft Repair Plant”.
Air Force command recognized the value of personnel’s effort. In February 1970 all personnel were awarded Diploma of the Council of Ministers of USSR and All-Union Central Trade Union Council in All-Soviet Union festival on upgrading of production practices. On the 9th of April, 1970 the enterprise was entitled as “Enterprise of good manufacturing practice”. In December 1980 by the decision of Air Force Commander and Presidium of the Central Committee of plant’s labor organization the plant was entitled as “Exemplary enterprise of Air Forces”. Every year since 1981 till 1985 the plant took the first place in competition among aircraft repair enterprises of Soviet Union.
The economic crisis of 1989-1990 has slowed down the impetuous progress of the plant. Even in such difficult conditions the personnel of the enterprise found the way out how to remain production and economic capabilities of the plant. In 1989 the enterprise was the first one in the USSR to master the overhaul of Su-27 multi-mission highly maneuverable all-weather fighter, in 1993-1994 specialists of the plant practiced the overhaul of Su-25 attack aircraft, Mig-29 multi-mission fighter of the 4th generation and An-2 light transport plane.
In 2003-2005 overhaul of Mi-8, Mi-24 helicopters were successfully developed and produced a desired effect.